Monday, October 31, 2005


Here, we are practicing "Kennel". Bear does sleep in this kennel and he spends his days in here while I'm at work. Kennel training is very easy. It should take about three days tops. If you start on a Friday night - by Sunday night it'll be just about over. The first night, Bear whined and would bark one bark every so often. This would last about 10 minutes. Then he'd start up again in the middle of the night for the same amount of time.

The second night - the time he whined was shorter and there was only one time he barked.
The third night - he started out whining for maybe 1 minute and then I never heard from him until 5:30am.

Most people don't like to kennel train. They hear the dog whining and crying and it upsets them. I know within three days it's over so I let the dog whine and bark. This is Bear's space. There isn't anywhere else in the house that is only his. He eats in there so the other dogs don't get his food, he sleeps in there and nobody can try to play with him, and he even chews on certain treats in there without fear of another dog taking it away.

Our Training Director once told me that once a service dog is placed - they can easily be taught to sleep in the bed with the client if that's what the client wants. But to do it the other way around is not so fun for the client.

Plus, I already have a dog of my own and her place is on my bed. Two or three dogs sleeping with me is not going to happen.

No comments: