Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Church was interesting

Bear and I got to church a little early so we could pick an out-of-the-way spot. We sat way in the back next to a side aisle on the right. Every time the pastor said, "Rise." Bear did. Actually, he had a wonderful attention reaction. When I stood up, he stood up and waited for a command. When I sat back down, he laid down and chewed on the bone I brought for him.

Everything was going swimmingly until we got to the reading of the names of people who have died. There was a long pause between each name and all I could hear was Bang!, Bang!, Bang! from Bear picking up and dropping his bone. I now have a new challenge; find something softer for Bear to chew on.

Then we had communion. The church offered to bring communion to me but I declined because I am physically able to go up to the front. When it was our turn, we got up and waited in line. Bear was perfect and I could hear little whispers going on. "Oh what a beautiful dog.", "Look at the dog.", "Puppy!", etc. It was our turn to kneel at the alter. I did and the paster came and gave me a piece of bread. Bear was very interested in that because of course, I was at his level! I quickly put it in my mouth while he watched me waiting for his piece. Then while I was kneeling, Bear decided to chew on the gourd display that was so nicely laid out on the alter steps. I shoo'd him from there and we went back to our seat.

The church service went well. I wasn't sure so I sat in the back. I think we'll work our way up to the front. After church, many people came to talk to me. They wanted to know about Bear, what he was doing, how I got involved in training service dogs, etc. After most everyone had left, a woman I know and her daughter stayed to talk. Things were fine for about 5 minutes. Then Bear decided to bark - at the little girl. She got pretty scared and I could not get him to stop barking. I did explain to the little girl that he isn't mad at her because his tail is wagging. I thought he maybe wanted to play with her. I'm still not sure what he wanted.

No comments: