Wednesday, July 04, 2007

How hard is this whole process emotionally?

It is not easy. I will say that. It is always hard when something you love and helped to grow moves on to what they were meant to do. Ask any parent of a college bound kid. There are some things that have made this process for me easier.

1) I volunteered for an organization that provides follow up for Bear's whole life. I know someone is checking up on him forever. I know that if he is not happy or is being mistreated, that he has an advocate that will be looking out for him. I also know that the same person will make sure that Bear is skilled in the areas Jessica needs him to be even if her needs change. He is meant to work and he loves to work so I know that will continue as long as his health holds out.

2) I was able to meet Jessica and see her home. I know what environment Bear will be working in, where he sleeps, where he goes outside, etc. His life is not a mystery to me. I was able to have that connection which made me never wonder if he's safe or in danger because of the neighborhood.

3) I was able to have Bear home for a visit. Bear left my home officially in November. I was allowed to have him back with our family for one week during Christmas. That really helped me be able to say goodbye when the time came.

American Assistance Dogs really understands the needs of the volunteer trainers. They worked with me so that the transition was easier. I feel so blessed to have been a part of this adventure for Jessica, do it through American Assistance Dogs, and I look forward to training another dog for AAD in about a year.

So even though it was hard, I would definitely do it again.

No comments: