Friday, March 10, 2006

First Test Could Mean the End of Service Dog Job For Bear


Bear went in today for his certification eye exam. This is one of a few medical tests that can determine the fate of a dog in a service dog program. Joey's brother had this same test done about two weeks ago and didn't pass because of a genetic disease. Obviously it's in the family but does Bear have it?

We went to Veterinary Ophthalmology Specialty Practice, Inc. to see Dr. Olivero to find out.

It's a very simple test. The nurse starts out by putting drops in the dogs eyes and you fill out paperwork. Once your done, the dog is ready to be seen. They take you into an exam room, talk with you a little about the test, and then they dim the lights. Dr. Olivero puts on a light and looks into the dogs eyes.

In Bears case, I didn't mention I was there with a potential service dog, nor did I mention his brother had been there and failed the same test.

Dr. Olivero asked me if Bear was going to be in any type of service dog work (as he's looking in Bear's eyes). I said yes as I was sitting there sweating. Then he asked if Bear has been fixed. Again I said yes thinking he was going to say, "Good because he has a genetic disease."

He said, "Well that's too bad because he doesn't have any problems with his eyes and it would've been nice to breed him." I was so relieved to say the least!!!! BEAR PASSED!!!!

We celebrated with ONE chicken nugget from McDonald's which he puked up an hour later in the car. Oh Bear!!!

No comments: