Sunday, September 04, 2005

Trip Home to Minnesota

Unfortunately my photographer (brother-in-law Ron) couldn't leave AZ for MN (it's getting closer to winter and I'm thinking he didn't want to - baby!) So, I don't have any pic's from the plane ride home. Twice you would've seen me grab my seat in fear as the plane dropped suddenly on take-off and landing. Both due to storms. Bear was pretty funny. He normally falls asleep on both the take off and 15 minutes prior to the landing. He was laying there sleeping and the plane dropped suddenly. I grabbed my chair and I think I may have said something outloud (I honestly can't remember). I looked down at him and he's laying there, not moving, but his one eye is open. Then when the plane leveled off he fell asleep.

He slept until the food was served. Then all of a sudden he was wide awake. The flight attendant offered him a cheese burger but I declined because he usually gets motion sickness and that wouldn't be good. But I did get him a cup of ice-cubes. We call these "Cold Bones" and he loves them! Plus he feels like he's "eating" too.

Here are the feeding suggestions when you take a service dog on a plane:

1. Feed 1/2 the normal serving for the evening meal the night before the flight and then no food until you get to your destination.

2. Give a little water on the morning of the flight and then no water until you get home. You can ask for a cup of ice-cubes when the drinks are served. That will give them a little hydration without making them go to the bathroom.

It may sound bad to some people but it's like the fast they go through before surgery so it cannot hurt them. Actually, in Bear's case, he feels so much better without food in his stomach making him sick. Plus with very little food given, he will chew on a bone for about an hour if he wakes up.

Next, you have to bring their shot records and a company issued ID card. The counter at Delta told me they had a training a couple of days ago and were told that every person with a service animal has ID papers. They were not asking to see mine (although I did share it with them) but they did ask if that was true because in the 20 years they worked for Delta - never have they asked to see papers and didn't know if any were carried. The thing about service animals is that there is no "license" or "certificate". They have to be trained by a reputable company and that information is on the ID card. I think with an able-bodied trainer it does look suspicious.

Personally I have a problem with the laws. They require the dog to be trained by a reputable company but there isn't a governing body of service dog companies. The law says you are allowed to take the dog anywhere you can go but does not allow the business to ask for verification that it is a service animal.

I have had a couple of businesses ask me if Bear is a service dog and I've said yes. They've said okay and let me go in. So far, I have not been refused entrance. I do have a card to give them if I am and basically the card lays out the law and explains that they are in violation of the ADA and could be prosecuted and fined. I am to give it to them and leave politely. Our coordinator will follow up with the company or give us help if we choose to do it.

Another puppy raiser in our program was charged an extra $20 for staying at a hotel (large chain). When she questioned it, she was told it was because they don't discriminate against anyone bringing in a dog. Everyone is charged $20. This is a serious misinterpretation of the ADA law. Everyone else has a "pet". Service dogs are NOT pets. They are accessories to a person with a disability such as a wheelchair or a brace. If they don't charge people to bring in a walker then they shouldn't be charging for a service dog. I believe the ADA even states "Service Dogs are NOT pets."

Another HUGE responsibility all of us have who are involved with American Assistance Dogs is to be the voice of those with a disability who may encounter these situations. If we experienced it and don't try to correct it, they too will experience it. So we try to clean up the holes in the system so the next person coming along has a smooth ride. We all take this responsibility very seriously. We not only train our dogs but we train the community as well. And just like the dogs, we use tact and patience with the community too.

Needless to say, the puppy raiser pursued it and not only got a refund but an apology. She did a great job and really opened the eyes of the hotel chain.

In this blog, you'll see all the places Bear and I go and whether or not we got decent service. That is definitely a part of the training and so I opted to be open about it.

At the airport, we actually got a lot of interesting attention. After talking to the Delta counter, they directed me to the airports "Paw Pad". It's a grassy area that is completely fenced in. It's wonderful! Bear just explored for about 15 minutes. Then we went to our gate.

We got to the gate with 1/2 hour left before boarding and I just sat on the floor with him. A lot of people will come and talk to you. Many have wonderful stories about their own pets that they miss and just want to spend time petting Bear. Others have lost dogs that they miss. Some people will even share pictures of their dogs. Many of the people are parents and their children really want to pet the "dog's". I will ALWAYS make exceptions to the "no pet" rule for children and people with disabilities. Children are great to educate about what Bear does and the "no pet" rule for the future. People with a disability are the people he will be helping and he needs experience with wheelchair's, walkers, braces, etc. Plus, they may be future clients of our organization. They do more for me and Bear than even they know.

Then a security person came and talked to me. He approached me and asked if the dog was friendly. I said, "Absolutely!". He knelt down and petted Bear and asked if he was in training and I said yes. He then wanted to know if this was his first flight and I explained this was the trip home so it was his second. He did ask me what kinds of things Bear could do. This is where the law comes in. Businesses are allowed to ask this question as a way to check to see if they are skilled. In what, I'm not sure. But of course, Bear is 6 months old and between 6-9 months they are so stubborn and defiant. He knows a lot of commands and would NOT do even one of them. I was really embarrassed but the security person was really understanding. He did try to get Bear to shake his hand. Bear doesn't know how to do that because he's not a pet. I did explain to the person that he doesn't know that command but you might be able to get him to do it by saying "touch". It's a stretch but he might lift his paw and touch your hand. Bear of course, didn't. Thanks a lot Bear!!

Then we boarded the plane and were seated in the bulk head section. The plane had tons of room so we got all three seats. Bear always plants himself with his head facing the isle so he can see under the first class curtain when he lays down. The flight attendant came and asked me if there was anything I may need help with. I told her that I didn't need any help except I may need someone to watch Bear if I need to use the restroom. She asked me a couple of questions about Bear (how old, what kind, etc.) When she heard he was 6 months old, she asked if he was in training and I said yes. We talked for a little while longer and then she went back up front. We were waiting and a man came on the plane and was talking with the pilots and the flight attendants. He'd glance to the back of the plane and then keep talking with the people up front. He was wearing a ID badge but I didn't get a good look at it. Anyway, pretty soon he came to me and said, "The flight attendants tell me that he's in training." and I explained that he was and how much I appreciated everyone's help because flight training is a rare thing to be able to do but very important to know how the dog handles it prior to being placed with someone." He petted Bear and just asked how old he was. Then he left.

The flight itself, after the take-off and landing, was uneventful. I did get a lot of people from the flight ask how he did while waiting for the luggage. It's funny because Bear really brings people out to talk. He's a wonderful ice-breaker.

No comments: